Andy and the team welcome you to The Ancient Unicorn, a 16th Century coaching inn located in the beautiful Teesdale area, a stone’s throw from the Pennine Way.
We purchased the Inn in early 2015 and set about restoring the fabric and character of this historic building to ensure our guests have a warm and comfortable environment to enjoy and relax in. The building is steeped in history – Charles Dickens was a guest in days gone by and based some of his writing on the local area. Another famous visitor was the artist William Turner, who painted some landscapes in the local area. It is rumoured from local folklore that the building is haunted by two young lovers – you can see their graves in the village churchyard.
Now the building will give you a warm welcome whatever the reason for your visit and we can offer these facilities for your enjoyment:
- 12 guest bedrooms, 10 of which are en-suite and the remaining 2 with a shared bathroom. 4 of the rooms are available to book by guests with well-behaved dogs (available by advance booking)
- The Hotel Bar,
- The Restaurant and Coffee Shop
- Guest’s lounge
- Delicious, seasonal menu of home-cooked dishes
- Hearty English breakfasts
- Or hire the entire Inn for business meetings, family celebrations etc
Please pay us a visit and let us offer you some traditional Teesdale hospitality, whether it’s for a quiet cup of coffee, a pint or two of real ale or a home-cooked meal, a good night’s rest, or even to see one of our legendary ghosts! Whatever the reason for your visit, we will do our best to give you a warm welcome.